A hard wall was hit last night. I’ve been knitting a Child’s Surprise Jacket for our grandson off and on since visiting them in September. Last night I’d finished the last row of the bottom and turned the whole to start picking up stitches along the side. Less than a dozen rows then one to lengthening the sleeves and knitting a hood and it’d be under the tree in time for Christmas. As I turned the body of the sweater the light caught it and my heart dropped. I’d had to order a couple more skeins of the wood part way through the sweater.
I know well enough to order enough at the same time but I didn’t read the fine print. While looking at Cascade 200 Superwash Sport I spied the green that made my heart sing and having knit with a number of Cascade 220 in the past it never dawned on me that these would be tiny 50 gram skeins. I though all Cascade 220 was put up in 100 gram skeins. I thought I was well covered in ordering four balls plus four more of different colors for the stripes.
Not. Even. Close.
The suppliment skeins arrived in a couple weeks. Same color number. Different lot numbers from the first group. Eyeballing them side by side they looked like they matched so I wound one into a ball and inspected it next to an original lot number ball with the plan that if they didn’t exactly match I could alternate the rows between the two. Deciding the dyers had done a great job of measuring the dyes I carried on with knitting the original until I ran out then began the 1st ball of the different lot.
It is not the same. Ed couldn’t see the difference when I showed it to him this morning but in the right light the new, duller green yarn is quite obvious. I’ve ripped back the knitting to the original dye lot and now am in a quandary. Where am I going to find more of the old dye lot??? I’ll make some calls to yarn places in the morning hoping that someone might still have some in stock.
Cascade 220 Superwash Merino Wool Sport Col. N° 801 , Lot. N° 3732 If anyone has some I’ll buy it! I need about 150 grams.
The tapestry is in time out for awhile. The second attempt fizzled as I got to the dog’s head and didn’t like the way it was coming along. The best solution seemed to be to start all over. Except this time I couldn’t stomach all the waste that happens when setting up the loom as instructed. Seriously, I want an 8 x 10″ tapestry but the shortest the loom goes is 16″ and then the way it’s supposed to be warped has the warp going down the back and up the front. That’s fine for long pieces but all that warp length wasn’t necessary. So I stretched my mind back to learning how to set up and dress the Navajo loom in eight grade home ec. mandatory for all of us girls. After some trial and error the loom was set up like a Navajo loom and I was happily weaving the dog, again.But for one problem. I’d marked out 8″ on the warping sticks with 1/4″ marks all the way between. But somehow as I manuvered the warp figure eight up around and down I lost an inch. I didn’t think it was a big deal, until I’d woven up to just under where the sword batten is placed in the picture. It’s looking like the head proportions will be wrong. The loom is sitting on the table where I can look at it from different angles trying to figure out how best to proceed. I cringe at the thought of starting all over, again.
Weaving is happening on my 40″ Norwood loom! I sat at the loom for two and a half hours today and wove for the first time since last Spring. It felt so good to be back into the weaving rhythm!