Lots of cables

The past few weeks have not been ordinary for two homebodies who typically do not go out in the evening, other than our one night per week commitments. And then there’s been knitting! A few late nights and I was able to finish up the Hiking Scarf and give it a wash and dry in time to pack it off in the mail before d-i-l’s birthday. The worsted, loosely spun alpaca took its sweet time drying, even draped near the wood stove.  With the clock quickly ticking to closing time at the local PO desperation called for the hair dryer aimed directly at it. Whew, dry with minutes to spare for wrapping it in birthday wrappings and tucking it in a box along with a lovely shawl pin Ed purchased last month.
Finished size, 60″ by 6″. The picture is a bit washed out, the alpaca was a lovely warm gray/brown. (Actually I’m suspecting the camera has been bumped too many times in that past 3+ years – it’s been frustrating getting it to capture true colors.)

Other than knitting a pair of socks with simple cables a couple of years ago, I hadn’t done any other cabling. At first it was very slow going and felt cumbersome but as the inches began building up welding a cable needle and working the twisted stitches became easier.

Aurora has been given two baby showers, both necessitating gifts, of course. 🙂 The Norwegian Baby Cap and a soft cocoon that, without a baby in it ,doesn’t look like much so no pictures until there’s a wee baby snuggled in it. Another shower is scheduled in 10 days – decent progress is being made on another wee garment. With the cabled scarf successfully under my belt I felt ready to tackle a pattern I bought several years ago that had long seemed too challenging:Pattern: Baby Yours by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill, Superwash Merino 4oz/420 yards Colorway: Jade
Needles: #2 – Ed’s needles

The back (pictured above, partially worked) is now finished and I’m about 3 inches along on the left front. While working on the scarf I discovered the perfect cable needle.An old Clover maple double-point that had been broken. I love using this slightly under 2 1/2″  needle with one end sanded into a sharp point, the other not quite so. It easily tucks under my last two fingers when not in use, but handily available when working across the cable row. On the return row it gets stuck back into the ball of yarn.

I have two more items I’d love to finish before little one is born but there’s other things also needing attention so we’ll see if they’ll be finished.

We are so blessed by lovely friends! Twice in January we were surprised at the PO with unexpected parcels.
First this beautifully knitted lace doily by Grannie Linda.
Seeing all the tiny, soft pink stitches brought tears to my eyes. My grandmother had crocheted and knitted many doilies in her lifetime and as a child my mom had some of them on the backs and arms of chairs and under her violets. I have one large one – also with pink! that I’ve treasured. I wonder whatever happened to the others. Grannie Linda’s resides in a place of honor in our living room, yes with pink frog.

A couple weeks later another very light parcel appeared in our postal box. What in the world? Ah – another familiar name – Valerie, weaver extraodinaire. What could it be? Restraining myself from ripping into the box then and there, I ran home (literally – you can ask my neighbor who is often on his porch watching the world pass by) for the scissors.

What a sweet surprise on a deep-winter day, roses!
Isn’t this the best presentation of silk hankies you have ever seen? 🙂 Each roll of hankies (Matawa) is dyed with lively pinks, greens and yellows – such cheerful colors. I have yet to decide what they’ll become. Someday the perfect project will claim them.

Thank you dear friends!!!

January/February often bring a sense of withdrawing and depression. Fortunately we’ve not had everlasting grey days of rain as we do some years. January had days of sunshine and blue skies. But still, the feeling settles into my bones, marrow and psyche. I want to be around people, but stronger is the desire to be solitary. Withdrawn. Quietly doing handwork, going for long walks, reading, though in truth I haven’t managed to work in long walks, I mostly dream about them and wonder how I can fit them into the day’s routine.

Last Sunday I took the dog for a walk out to the cemetery. It’d been several months since I’d walked that way. The almost daily walks Ed and I take to the school and back have taught Lilydog to stay close by without being on a leash. She’s good about staying right at our heels for the most part, or if her nose entices her to check out the bushes a short command brings her right back.  So, on Sunday when I set out with her it didn’t cross my mind to grab her leash. Spindle and wool in hand we made it up to the cemetery and had turned back when I saw three dogs gamboling at the far end of the field across the way. There was no way we could walk down the open road with out them spotting us but I hoped that they were trained to stay close to the farm buildings. We made it halfway down the hill and just past a long driveway when the terrier and golden lab spotted us. Alerted they barked and headed our way. I considered whether  my Turkish spindle would make a good weapon. Deciding, no, it was tucked it in the walking pouch. Instead I put a handful of gravel into my jacket pocket and a hefted a rock in my right hand. By then the terrier was sniffing along our back tracks while the lab was charging towards us. I climbed a wire fence post and said in my sternest voice, “GO HOME!” He slowed about 50 feet away. Hesitating. Uncertain. Again I commanded him to go home. He wandered up to where the terrier was still sniffing out our earlier passing then they headed back into the field.

Lily and I continued along the lane keeping a vigilant eye towards the dog.  The lane makes a sharp turn to lead past their farm and out to the main road. At the bend there is a grove of trees on the side we were walking. I found a good stout branch for the dogs had more or less paralleled our journey and now that we were coming close to their home turf they were acting more aggressive again. Near their place the lab swooped towards us then circled out around Lily dropping back only when I shouted at him. Three times he charged, the last time he came in too close for my comfort (HA! I hadn’t been comfortable since first spotting him across the way) and I brandished the stick at him while telling him to go home. Poor Lily was doing her best to ignore them but she also kept about 10 feet away from me as though she were trying to lure them away from me. I have no idea if that lab was more bravado than bite but I’m not keen to try walking past him again. Finally he seemed to lose interest in us and we made it out to the main road.

A few hundred yards farther down the road a couple men were working on a truck. They’d been there earlier when we first walked past, along with a little granddaughter. This time one of them was holding a boxer in the back of the pickup. As we approached, on the opposite side of the road, he called out not to worry that he had a hold of his dog, and even if he didn’t hold her she’d just want to play with us. Great, just hang on to that dog!  We’d made it past the house when I heard barking and turned to see the boxer blazing towards us, in a non-friendly way. I lifted my stick and told it to Go Home as the owner shouted, “Sadie, get back here.” She wavered a moment then turned and went grudgingly back to him.

After being bitten by a dog six years ago I can no longer feel friendly and trustful of dogs. I need to buy some pepper spray. I should also leave Lily at home. Having a dog along with me seems to bring out dogs.

Well, this post certainly went off on a different direction! I’ll try to post again soon and tell about the showers, and the two events that Ed and I recently attended – one this afternoon.

I’m so woefully behind on blogs. I have forgotten my dear cyber friends, it’s just that , other then brief forays to FB, I’ve been pretty much avoiding the computer during my non-working hours. The weekend is coming with continuing rain in the forecast. Perhaps I’ll be able to get in some serious blog reading time.


Author: Wanda J

I never dreamed my life would be entangled with fiber and the tools used to produce fibery items. When I bought a boat shuttle used in weaving Ed looked at it, decided to make a better one and the rest is history. For a decade he made shuttles, crochet hooks, knitting needles, until his spindles became so popular that he had to devote his time to making them, as well as Walking Wheels. Free time is spent reading, trying to coax food from the ground, and playing in the creek near our place. I love long walks and camping far from crowds. Playing a fiddle beside a stream or with good friends brings sweetness to my soul. Sundays are set aside for worshiping God with our small Quaker meeting.

7 thoughts on “Lots of cables”

  1. You mean, you haven’t read all about my new (leased) dancing partner?!?

    So glad you and Lily made it home unscathed. I have a hard time fitting walks/jogs into my schedule as well. When in Texas visiting my sister and her new baby, I took their dog out for a vigorous outing every day!

  2. Ugh, I always get scared when untethered dogs approach me and Maisie on a walk, too. We’ve not been harmed, but once I’m convinced that was only because a kind man came out his front door and added his voice to mine in telling the interloper to go home.

  3. I understand your concern about dogs since my daughter was chased by one, fell off her bike and broke her elbow. I’ve found though that in general large dogs are better behaved than small ones–we’ve guessed that big dog owners know they have to train them and little dog owners figure they can control the small ones without training. My favorite dog right now is my friend’s pit bull–90 lbs of very well behaved doggie love. All this to say 🙂 the owners need the training 🙂

    To really work on your cables, try the Sweet Eleanor hat–10-12 cable moves in every row. I love how the hat looks when it’s finished but I do tire of the cabling. Pattern is on ravelry.

  4. Glad you like the doily!
    I am working on a knit table cloth now….don’t ask me when THAT will be done!
    Your cables are coming along very nicely! That will be a wonderful sweater!
    The silk hankie roses are amazing!!!!
    As for dogs…..We walk every day and there is nothing more annoying than snarling hackles coming at us and the owner saying, “They just want to play!”
    I guess I define ‘play’ differently……And we don’t walk with a dog, just hubby and I. Walk softly and carry a big stick. I carried pepper spray when I jogged alone or with or with the boys, for years. Came close to using it enough times.
    But on the other side there were SO many great dogs in the neighborhood
    that loved seeing us coming, knowing we had doggie biscuits in our pockets!
    Have a fun rainy weekend!

  5. My dog does not like other dogs, for whatever reason ( we adopted her when she was six, so we don’t know what trauma might have happened in her “childhood”.) Most people in this city abide by the by-law and keep their dogs on leashes when they’re walking, but some people seem to think its okay for the dog to be loose on the driveway or front lawn while they are out there doing yardwork. Those are the dogs I don’t like (or rather the owners, it’s not the dog’s fault) because the dogs will leave their property and cross the street to see my dog. One of these days one of those dogs is going to get bitten. I’m glad Lilydog is okay. And I love the doily. My husband’s grandmother made a lot of them, and I still have some.

  6. Most of the time it isn’t the dogs it’s the owners who are at fault, glad I live in the country and have many fenced acres for our lab to run on, just lucky I guess.

    Cables were always a hang-up for me so saying that I have avoided them like a bad disease. Maybe I need to take the bull by the horns and tackle a small project using cables and see how it goes; they say when something gets to you put it away for a time then try again. Guess I need to do that.

    The sun is shining and it 60 here in MO. Have a great day.

  7. Gosh you have been busy and I love all you have made and I agree re the mawata hankies ,what a beautiful way to package them .
    WHY oh why don’t dog owners take responsibility for their dogs, this is one of my pet hates ,they really should be reported. Our two think that every dog is friendly and I have to watch them if unknown dogs are about Sadly we don’t see many dogs up here so when they do they are so pleased that they don’t always listen and rush towards a dog.
    I agree with you re my blog being too much of a contrast and I am 99 % convinced to move to WordPress after spending hours trying to get the blog looking like I want it to

Comments are closed.