A summer weekend and SS wrap-up

Walking through the warmth of a bright summer afternoon taking parcels to the PO I lamented the lack of time to slide into the cool waters of the creek. Last Friday I swam for the first (so far only) time this summer. It was glorious. Honeybees droned over tart/sweet ripening blackberries hanging near the creek, dragonflies swirled on a slight breeze, water skippers skated out of the water, climbing onto the warm rock while tiny trout darted around my arms and legs, and Mopley contently laid in the shade. Not another person in sight or hearing.  To my surprise the water was still cool and higher than usual this far into August, the level more like that of early July. Languishing an hour soaking in peace and solace. Noting the shadow already across the creek by 3pm I decided to try to get in a daily swim sometime between noon and 2pm. Sadly it’s not working out.

Ed went on the annual camping/fishing trip with his buddies and our son-in-law, Hayman leaving me to decide between getting neglected chores done or spend that precious alone time weaving and playing. Compromise is good in these times! I didn’t get nearly as much weaving in as I’d hoped, the annual Summerfest put a kink in Saturday. It’s a small town festival with a small parade that varies slightly year to year, and a few intrepid vendors with handcrafts. A day to get out and mingle with the locals and people I know but seldom see.  The garden needed watering, an apple pie made with the fallen gravensteins, and the living room a through cleaning. Then it was time to pack up to spend the night with daughter Aurora.

We laid out a ground sheet, cushioned it with a fleece blanket then spread our sleeping bags and settled in to watch the full moon and shooting stars sail through the sky. Except, tattered clouds scudded across the sky all night long. We laid awake, dozing off and on listening to farm traffic, dogs and a few distant voices. Aurora lives at the edge of a small farm community surrounded by many grain fields – all ripe for harvest and with a forecast of possible rain Sunday evening many were working the fields late into the night. We were thankful the field directly across the road is a blueberry field with no tractors humming along the rows! The good thing about a cloudy night – no waking up to heavy dew covering everything.

The office computer had been slowing down with odd things popping up, programs that are used daily suddenly not opening necessitating digging into program files to even find them. I arranged to take it to a computer maintenance friend early Friday morning. He found 6 viruses/worms/malware on it. One especially tenacious one that seemed to go back several years but had recently activated and was the main culprit behind messing with .exe files. We’re thankful to have it running much better though there are some new issues, the worst my postage software had to be reinstalled and all the history for the past 2 years was wiped out. I’ve relied a great deal on that history – it’s the quickest way to see when something’s been shipped and delivered, I use it to cross reference when something has been mailed to a specific person then I can go to the correct month to find the order. (I don’t know how to create a database, sad. Someday I hope to figure it out but so far the learning curve has been too steep and time-consuming.) Being without our work computer was sort of freeing for the four days it was gone but yesterday was filled with trying to answer emails and reconfiguring my layouts in the postage software. Our somewhat slower days are history. Work is almost back to full swing and although we’re not yet taking wholesale orders they’ve been coming in.

Ed’s birthday is next Thursday and the vest I’ve been sporadically weaving might not get finished in time. We have two young friends getting married in September, one on the 3rd the other on the 24th and I’d hoped to weave rugs for each of them. (We’ve known the young man getting married on the 3rd since he was born the year between our two kids, the other since he was 11 or 12.)

Sock Summit seems long ago but I promised to show what came home with me.
Gryphon, of Sanguine Gryphon traded the purple and a red skein for a spindle. When Ed showed me what she’d delivered my jaw dropped and I had to get another red in hopes of making a sweater from the red and purple skeins. (No idea what pattern.) I couldn’t resist getting the pink and blue for making sweaters for Wesley and Feather.

Fiber also found it’s way back home with me; the lofty blue from Cheryl’s Newhuehandspun, the sparkly pink pencil roving aka Silver Roving (seriously it has silver in it!) gifted by Jennifer of Holiday Yarns, and the wonderful Pushka spindle straight from the Peruvian Andes – which Jocelyn thoughtfully purchased for me whilst on tour in Peru. It is a true Quechua drop-spindle, as used by the woman for all their spinning. I’m truly amazed and touched by this gift. I’m looking forward to spending more time getting acquainted with it.

Before opening time Thursday afternoon Ed came rushing into the booth and told me I needed to go across the way and snap up the red shoes before they were gone. He and I had eyed some similar 2 years ago but I’d waited too long. I dashed over and found a pair I fell in love with. It’s been fun strutting around in these babies. Saturday Ed returned to the booth after another cruise around visiting vendors. This time he encouraged me to make haste to the Dublin Bay booth and snap up the big red purse that was hanging on the wall. I did. 🙂 Isn’t it a fun combo? Love reds, and I have just the Swallowtail red shawl to go with them! The spindle bag is a JustJuleeDesign gifted by the creator. (Sadly no website.) More about this another post.
After these some hundred words… a picture of the gifted goods!



Author: Wanda J

I never dreamed my life would be entangled with fiber and the tools used to produce fibery items. When I bought a boat shuttle used in weaving Ed looked at it, decided to make a better one and the rest is history. For a decade he made shuttles, crochet hooks, knitting needles, until his spindles became so popular that he had to devote his time to making them, as well as Walking Wheels. Free time is spent reading, trying to coax food from the ground, and playing in the creek near our place. I love long walks and camping far from crowds. Playing a fiddle beside a stream or with good friends brings sweetness to my soul. Sundays are set aside for worshiping God with our small Quaker meeting.

4 thoughts on “A summer weekend and SS wrap-up”

  1. I would love to spread a blanket on the cottage lawn and watch the shooting stars. With no city lights around, the night sky is a mass of stars. Unfortunately it’s also a mass of mosquitoes and other blood-sucking insects. That’s life in cottage country. I love your red bag and shoes!

  2. What a lovely virtual return to Oregon for me! Our blackberries are ripening too, and I must start thinking of jams and pies.

    Where did the peaceful days go, when we had time to write long lengthy posts? Well you somehow found the time anyway. You put me to shame!

Comments are closed.