Sock Summit, Day 1

Ed’s been asleep for over an hour. My eyes are struggling to stay open. We need to be on the road shortly after 7 in the morning. We’re hoping not to be caught in the morning commute but odds aren’t good as there are a number of people who make the daily commute to Portland area to work.

Our move-in time today was ridiculously early – 10 am, considering the Marketplace didn’t open until 4:30 today. It takes us less than an hour to move in and set up. That meant there would be lots of down time to relax, hang out with others and knit on the socks I’d hoped to be wearing by Sunday.

Except, somehow, there wasn’t. It wasn’t bad, just not what I’d expected. Having a horrible headache, perhaps triggered by some allergy and the florescent overhead lights didn’t help.  Set-up went smoothly. Cheryl had already organized her half of the booth making it easy for us to figure out the best way to set up our two small tables.  But the best part was Jocelyn!

During an exchange of emails she offhandedly offered to help in our booth if Ed or I needed breaks. I jumped at her offer. Bless her heart!!! She even gave up a pattern writing class she’d signed up for in order to cover for me. Jocelyn came to our booth immediately after her morning class to chat and get a feel for how we operate. I loved catching up a bit with her July adventures in Peru. (Stay turned to her blog, she’ll be updating it once July is over.)
Cheryl of Handspun Yarns, and Jocelyn before the Marketplace opened.

Shortly before 4pm I wandered out the entry doors into the lobby where people were already congregating.Seriously! This doesn’t capture the length of the line of people waiting to get into the Marketplace at 4:30. People started lining up at 12:30!!! It’s a good thing they’re knitters and spinners.

This was the view from our booth showing the calm Marketplace before the storm. The organizers did a get job in setting up the Marketplace with lots of open space making it feel spacious and welcoming, rather than the overwhelming sensory overload that plagued almost everyone at SS09.

Still, with all the eager shoppers waiting in the lobby it wasn’t long before the quiet was shattered.A mob immediately swarmed the booth right next to us when the vendors began throwing skeins of yarns to the masses. Literally. It was crazy, especially when people thought the yarn was free! This was so not cool. The pandemonium spilled over to all the adjoining booths making it hard for customers to get in, let alone see, what was in the booths on each side. Poor Cheryl took the brunt of it since she had the portion of the booth right alongside theirs. It took almost half an hour before the space cleared in front of her area where shoppers could get to her lovely yarns and fibers.

I’d been detained at another booth due to a faulty phone connection to authorize my cc. Writing a check as quickly as possible I tried to dash back to our booth stopping only to snap these two pictures. I had to elbow my way into our booth. Not really, but it felt like it. 🙂 Ed and Jocelyn were already swamped with earnest shoppers trying out our spindles. (Ed’s back there, center right.)

Jocelyn was a Godsend! She’s a wonderful, natural helper in a busy booth, knowing instinctively how to help and assist people. I’m not sure that either Ed or I would have kept our sanity without her help, especially during that incredibly hectic first half hour. We are so blessed by her wonderful assistance and perfect vendor’s personality. Thank you, Jocelyn

And thanks to all our loyal customers. What a great group of people, so patient with us yet enthusiastic and all around wonderful. It’s fun to meet people who came by during the first Sock Summit, and people at Black Sheep. Then there are those who I’d met through emails and finally was privileged to see in person (however briefly) whether they live in Portland, OR, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Maine, or Toronto (such as Amy Singer). We feel so blessed.

Tomorrow, Friday, at 3pm I will be demonstrating spinning with a Turkish Spindle in the Demo Area 1. Please wish me well!

6:30, closing time arrived along with Cheryl’s husband, Will Newhouse, who appeared bearing a Key Lime Pie he’d made for us.

OH SWEET GOODNESS! That is the best key lime pie we’ve ever eaten. Creamy, robust, decadent, toothsome goodness.


Author: Wanda J

I never dreamed my life would be entangled with fiber and the tools used to produce fibery items. When I bought a boat shuttle used in weaving Ed looked at it, decided to make a better one and the rest is history. For a decade he made shuttles, crochet hooks, knitting needles, until his spindles became so popular that he had to devote his time to making them, as well as Walking Wheels. Free time is spent reading, trying to coax food from the ground, and playing in the creek near our place. I love long walks and camping far from crowds. Playing a fiddle beside a stream or with good friends brings sweetness to my soul. Sundays are set aside for worshiping God with our small Quaker meeting.

10 thoughts on “Sock Summit, Day 1”

  1. Now I know where Jocelyn has been. Yes, she’s great and what a help she’ll be for you! (Hi, Jocelyn!) Someday, someday, I’m going to get to SS! Have fun and try to catch some rest periods.

  2. Wow Wanda…such a lot of shoppers!! Hope it all goes well for you, love the space in that marketplace too.

    I had a fantastic show at Fibre-East, really boosted my confidence, I could believe how much I sold…. 🙂

  3. Hope you have a blast today, and that everything goes smoothly. I would much rather be at Sock Summit than at the dealership getting the AC fixed on my car. (At least I can knit in the waiting room. They know me there…)

  4. Oh my; what a report! And OH, JOY! I WILL get to come on Sunday! I hope to be there by 9:00, and would be happy to help in the booth to give you guys potty and food breaks or just lend a helping hand. I would consider it a privilege to enable more Jenkins Turkish spindle owners (as well as see you two wonderful people). I will be looking in case there is yet another spindle that sings to me, too. 🙂

  5. Looks like things are off to a good start! A few more hours before your spinning demo; crossing fingers that everything goes well.

  6. You captured that first crazy day perfectly, Wanda! Thank you both so much for letting me work in your booth – it was a fabulous experience getting to share with other people the spindles I love so much 🙂 I hope that you got a quiet day today to recover a little bit!!

Comments are closed.