Last week I’d planned to write about a frosty outing to the Oregon Garden but the evenings were swept away in finishing two more projects and working on another one which should be finished before starting another knitting project.
First the finished Northern Lace Cat’s Paw Scarf by Elizabeth Lovick. A Free Pattern.
50 grams Schoppel Wolle roving gifted to me by my son and d-i-l, M for Christmas ’09, Spun into 3 singles on Lark and plyed in May.
Needles: Jenkins #10/6mm
Began knitting on Nov 30 with intention of giving the scarf. Wove in ends and washed on January 1st.
This scarf is so light, just a wisp around the neck. It’s going to be hard to part with it. M’s birthday is Feb 14th so I have a month to fondle. The sooner I cast on for one of my own the sooner I’ll get over wanting hers. Right?
Along with the blue/green/black roving M & J also gave me 50 grams of roving in bright rainbow colors. I had immediately test spun a bit of it on the wheel then put the bobbin and roving in a zippered bag and set it aside to dive into the 800 yard challenge. It was unearthed just last month. Minus identifying band. I think it also is a Schoppel Wolle roving. This week it was divided into three strips and spun on three bobbins. They’re now ready to ply together. (Vanity speaking – it really bothers me that the final bobbin-full, the one on the left, is so messy and uneven. I was on a mad sprint to the finish line last night.)
Except now, I’m eyeing the 64 grams of spun soft-grey alpaca left from what I spun to go with the Mohair, thinking if I were to ply a strand of alpaca with a strand of the rainbow instead of 3 plying the colors together, it might give my a colorful heather. I’m reluctant to test spin much of it for I spun with the intention of maintaining the color sequences. I’m not a huge fan of chain-ply but am considering it as an option as I look at Bobbin #3 (left). Decisions! Feedback most welcome.
Saturday the sun was out and I finally did a video of my method for winding onto the flatter armed Aegean spindle. A lot of yarn can be packed onto an Aegean with this method, and I find it’s quicker than the traditional over 2, under one. For all those who are interested, here you go.