Head down determined to finish the front of a Knitspot pattern, the Whitfield Jacket which I’d love to wrap up in time for Ed’s birthday, a gust of wind blowing through the window caused me to glance out the front window, grab my camera, race outside and across the yard just far enough to pass under the utility lines. These kinds of colors are fleeting, and somewhat rare in our corner of the world.
Sunset, 8:26 this evening.
Jazzed, it seemed a good time to update the blog. With two birthdays looming large and two presents I’d love to finish in time to give, evenings have been devoted to knitting. Passing the less than two weeks to go date I’m rather resigned to not completing the jacket in time, with two sleeves, the collar, blocking and seaming to go the odds aren’t good.
Whitfield Jacket has been on the needles since last autumn. I purchased the pattern and yarn from Jocelyn who was helping to staff Briar Rose Booth at Sock Summit 09. Between being a truly slow knitter and having other projects occupy my evenings for months at a time – ex. 800 yard spinning challenge, it’s taken me almost a year to knit this garment. On a positive note, this is only the second sweater type of item I’ve knit (The Red Sweater was my first) and the first one knit in separate pieces. This is a fun item to knit, the pattern quickly memorized and even manageable in the dark! It was during a night ride home from music practice 40 miles away that I got up the gumption to try knitting in dark for the first time. By keeping track of the stitches, using my fingers to feel the knits and purls I was able to successfully complete a few rows.
Another first is knitting button holes, or forgetting to knit them at the proper time. Humming steadily along one Sunday afternoon while sitting under the catalpa tree in the front yard I happily measured to see if I was getting close to the beginning bind off for the arm hole and was thunderstruck to realize I’d forgotten to knit a buttonhole nine rows back. During the knitting of the right front there were several times that I had to tink back a number of rows to correct an overlooked decrease or bind-off. For this? No way. Digging out a small bone crochet hook I bought just for this purpose and an extra dpn I dropped two stitches down the rows.
Being very careful to grab the correct strand, for some reason the bottom-most strand, the one to be knit seems to get buried while the second one in line jumps for the hook.
Buttonhole in place and ready to commence with the knitting.This pattern has been such a pleasure to knit that I’m eager to start the female version, Jackie.
The Scrunchie Handwarmers are coming nicely along. I was steadily working on them at the start of August thinking I could whip right through them. Ha! Then the grandkids came (next post?) and I was distracted. Must get back to them if they’re to be finished by the end of August. (Whoops, I see that I didn’t mention them previously as I’d thought. ) Here’s the scoop: Another Limegreenjelly challenge. This time around we have from the beginning of June to the end of August to spin and knit either Scrunchie Handwarmers or some socks (Sorry, no links. I don’t want to take the time to log into Raverly to fetch all the various links!) It took me though June to spin the yarn – that’s what’s on Chatter at the rodeo in the previous post.
97 grams, 3-ply, 235 yards. I’d split the roving lengthwise into three equal parts with the hopes of matching colors. What I should have done was to first divide the roving in half across then split into 3 parts (6 total) so I’d have a better chance of matching handwarmers. Just wasn’t thinking clearly but had the idea that I’d knit both at once on circulars from the outside and inside of one ball. Problem was the outside was a dark grey/blue, the inside end a bright blue. I knit the cuffs did not like the unmatched contrast. So, unraveling the inside cuff I then broke the yarn and with that end started the second cuff using a set of dpn. It’s working to periodically break the yarn and knit awhile on the other handwarmer, switching back and forth as I proceed. They aren’t matching but at least it’s not a jarring difference that looked just plain wrong.
There’s other spinning I’ve been doing; parts of three fleeces I’ve washed, dried and hand-picked through. I’m not sure how to proceed. The thought of hours of either picking or handcarding is daunting.
His natural craving for affection helped him to conquer his fear. While I’d be sitting outside knitting he’d creep close enough to lay down just out of reach, usually behind my chair. Eventually I could brush a couple fingers against him before he’d skitter away. Now he comes running when we walk out the door. Tux is my faithful outdoors knitting companion. 🙂