The Recipe and dueling computers

Fiberjoy’s Blueberry Scones

Preheat oven to 400 F
These scones are really easy to make, and if handled lightly they are tender, moist and scrumptious. Best eaten within a few hours.

4 Cups Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Sugar

Stir together in a large bowl, then cut in until well mixed:
1/2 Cup Butter

Stir into the dry mixture:
1 Cup frozen Blueberries – Do not thaw! (Can use Fresh in season)

Combine in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 Cups Milk (if you’re feeling decadent or having guests use Half & Half)
1 Egg     Separate some of the white into a small dish

Quickly stir the milk mixture into the dry mix until barely moistened, turn out onto floured pastry cloth. Gently scoop and knead tenderly. Work quickly and do not handle the dough any more than necessary to gather into a loose ball. Using your hands, divide into two portions and pat each into a flat circle about 8″ across and an inch high.

With a fork, whip the egg white with 1 Tablespoon Milk until frothy. Brush over the two rounds of dough. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon sugar over each. Cut into six to eight wedges with a sharp knife and put on ungreased oven stone or cookie pan. Leave space between each scone to bake evenly.

Cook in preheated oven about 18 minutes.  (Should be done when golden brown)

Enjoy! 🙂
These scones can be a bit temperamental with humidity or dryness. Sometimes not all the flour will be absorbed – in this case do not try to work it all in. Other times the dough may be quite wet. If so, be sure your pastry cloth is well dusted with flour but don’t work in more flour than needed to pat the rounds into a circle without having a gooey mess.

Blueberry Scones

Awhile back we came across the opportunity to purchase a new computer, the last one of its type in the store at a close-out price. Our old computer, which has been in use since 2001, had been working under increasing duress; often throwing fits, stalling, and shutting down unexpectedly.

Being the tail end of a long day we snapped that computer up with scarcely any contemplation. As the store guy was freeing the computer from its securings I asked that the hard drive be wiped clean and restored to the original condition since it had been the display model. He said they’d take care of it before boxing it up so Ed and I gathered the supplies on my shopping list. It wasn’t long before the box with the computer was taken up to the checkout. By then my brain had checked out and though I thought it seemed like it was too quick for the hd to be cleaned I didn’t think to ask.  Once home we rearranged stuff in the office making a space on the floor for the box to sit on it’s side.

There it sat over four months, glowering at me as Old PC muttered, gasped and blacked out.  Before Sock Summit Ed didn’t expect me to spend time setting it up. August passed and hints about getting it running came more frequently. Ed isn’t one to nag and there reached a point when he didn’t say anymore. Danger zone. When he stops talking is when action needs to happen. Sad, huh. Ed does not procrastinate. He only knows the meaning of the word because I do.

I would walk into the office, see the disorganization and clutter and get completely side-swiped not know how to start. occasionally a bit of organizing would happen but not the main thing. Going away for five days and returning to work in an inefficient office space lit the fire to get it done.  And the desire to start a weaving project knowing I dare not with The Computer Project waiting.

When Ed went to visit a friend Saturday afternoon, the moment came. Calling a young computer whiz to give me a hand, I set to moving some stuff out of the office, setting up two new short filing cabinets, vacuuming up dusties and unplugging all the electrical stuff trying to keep the thousand wires orderly, and moving Old PC to a workable surface. David showed up and we quickly commenced setting up New PC. Until. Password? Password? Arghhh They had not cleaned up the computer. David called the store. Of course they wouldn’t give him their password. Bring it in, they said.

Dashing across the 25 miles to the store I made it before closing time. The tech guy set it up an account for us. Problem is, there’s still old stuff on there. It’s been taking the lion’s share of the last four days to get files transferred, programs installed, bugs worked out, email issues resolved – still working on that one. By yesterday afternoon I dispared at all the time being syphoned away by the set up knowing there are pictures of Kuchulu spindles to post, interested buyers to contact, sending one to our winner -Josiane. Nevermind all the orders that are piling up waiting to be processed and sent. The postage software problem was finally solved late yesterday and there’s hope that the final email issue will be resolved tomorrow.

Maybe one of you can answer why it is that in Thunderbird, the email program we use, the password for two accounts is not accepted yet when I type the same passwords into Old PC they’re recognized by the mail server and I can download the email. I’ve verified the passwords several different times in my cpanel but still can’t get through on New PC. The response from our domain host is to do just what I’ve done. Going in circles. Meanwhile, I have both computers set up so I can access everything I need to do my work. I’m hoping that tomorrow will be the final day of the dualing computers.

Office space

Be on the look out for a small flock of Kuchulus! 🙂


Author: Wanda J

I never dreamed my life would be entangled with fiber and the tools used to produce fibery items. When I bought a boat shuttle used in weaving Ed looked at it, decided to make a better one and the rest is history. For a decade he made shuttles, crochet hooks, knitting needles, until his spindles became so popular that he had to devote his time to making them, as well as Walking Wheels. Free time is spent reading, trying to coax food from the ground, and playing in the creek near our place. I love long walks and camping far from crowds. Playing a fiddle beside a stream or with good friends brings sweetness to my soul. Sundays are set aside for worshiping God with our small Quaker meeting.

9 thoughts on “The Recipe and dueling computers”

  1. I love the play on words!!! Our household is a continuous conglomeration of dueling/dualing computers; I sympathize!

  2. Oh, thank you for the scone recipe! To me, they’ll always be the Kuchulu scones, as I’ve associated them with the morning you’ve chosen the name. Making them will be the perfect way to celebrate when my Kuchulu makes it here! But don’t worry about me, I’m in no rush at all.
    I hope your computer issues will soon be resolved; I know what a pain it is when things don’t work the way they should…

    1. I couldn’t help thinking about Kuchulu this morning while I was walking (and spinning on my Turkish delight of course…)
      When I was young the elders always chucked the babies under the chin and said what I always thought was Koo che Ku. I wondered if it was Kuchuku or even Kuchulu instead…
      Since your informative naming story, in my mind it will be Kuchulu now.Janet

  3. Ooh, I hope things get cleared up soon, and not just because I’m excited about Kuchulu! Dealing with multiple computers, none of which works quite right, is very frustrating.

  4. By the time I got to the words “computer, hard drive” I suspected what was coming and my hands went to my ears and eyes and I started shouting, “La, la, la, la!” in hopes that I wouldn’t see or hear anything that had to do with a computer. It’s death and destruction to me!

    I hope all goes well for you, though!

  5. Computers! Can’t live with um…well…you know the rest 😉

    here is to hoping your issues will be resolved!
    PS..YOUR desk is so tidy! What an inspiration!
    (I’ve paperwork overflowing onto the piano!)

  6. I can frog back 1264 lace stitches 8 rows at a time( don’t ask ), spin thread & then untangle it & deal with a myriad of situations that involve patience. However, when my computer backsasses me, it’s on.
    On a much happier note:Kuchulu! YAY!

  7. Do what I do for computer issues…call Tim. (:
    Wonderful to see you…after you left, I thought of conversations for another time.
    No olive branches cut, since it has been raining. I love my new turkish spindle; used it at our final farmer’s mkt. So easy to use and transport. The shetland wool has been fun.

Comments are closed.