Saturday afternoon at the loom proved a disaster.
The warp had been threaded through the heddles and sleyed through the reed at 6epi, the ratio I normally use for weaving rugs. But this time I’d threaded the linen warp in a 2-1 pattern (two threads through a single heddle, then one thread through the next) threading through shafts 4 and 3 with the next thread suspended between shafts 1 and 2. Something felt wrong.
At the end of February I’d spent some time with Mr B who weaves magnificent weft-faced rugs using the shaft-switching technique. Having never taught the subject he wasn’t adept at teaching the concepts, nor was I able to actually sit down at his loom and work through the process with my hands. I purchased the recommended Jason Collingwood dvd which I’ve watched numerous times but there are still crucial gaps. (And Mr B. has significantly modified JC’s process. Mr B had JC in his home this past May, I’m curious as to what JC thought.)
Saturday I set out to re-sley the warp to 4epi. Once the warp was set at the correct 4epi I went to the back of the loom to remove all the extra, miscalculated warp. Leaning forward something caught my eye. What in the world? A missed warp thread?
Scooting the loom away from the wall to get behind it and disentangle the wayward warp, I tried to find the loose warp end but it continued on around the beam, under and over other warp threads. My heart sank.
Somehow a thread had gotten wrapped around a section of the warp then threaded and sleyed along with the others, thoroughly mucking up the works. The entire warp needs to be unsleyed, unthreaded, unreeled from the back beam and evenly spread out again. One huge advantage is that the lease sticks are still holding the cross so it won’t be the total nightmare it could have been. In fact this may turn out to be a very good thing in the long run for I’d been fretting that the beamed warp didn’t seem to have equal tension across the warp.